This recipe comes from the latest issue of Everyday Food magazine. The in season section features pineapple and I’ve been checking out the fresh pineapple at the grocery store for a couple of weeks now. I took it as a sign to buy a pineapple. I’m a sucker for salsa. In college some of my dorm-mates would buy the gigantic pitcher of salsa from Costco and we would all overdose on chips and salsa. My husband hates when I eat it because he hates the smell of it but I simply can’t resist it. If I’m buying a jar of salsa I usually go for Green Mountain Gringo brand but I definitely prefer fresh salsa.
Pineapple and Black Bean Salsa
(adapted from March 2011 issue of Everyday Food)
- 1 can (15.5 oz) organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from one medium lime
- Coarse salt to season
Combine all ingredients. Serve with tortilla chips. (Refrigerate up to 3 days.) Makes 4 cups.
I didn’t even offer this to the kids. I’m keeping it all for myself.