We had a neighborhood party this weekend and I wanted to serve a vegetarian option. Sweet potato quiche is something I’ve been thinking about for a while and this fit the bill for the party. This quiche was a hit at the party with several people although I think the goat cheese scared some people off. My 83-year-old neighbor came back for seconds.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Quiche
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and oven-roasted (20 minutes drizzled with oil at 375° F)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried sage leaves, crumbled
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of heavy cream or milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated romano or parmesan cheese (or a blend of both)
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 uncooked pie crust
Line a 9-inch pie plate or tart pan with the pie crust and sprinkled the Romano/parmesan cheese over the bottom. Spread the roasted sweet potatoes and goat cheese evenly in the crust. Set aside.
In a non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil at a medium temperature then sauté the shallots and the sage leaves until fragrant (about 3-4 minutes). Spread the cooked shallots over the sweet potatoes. In a medium bowl whisk together the cream, eggs, and pepper. Pour into the pie plate and bake at 350° F for 35-40 minutes or until fully set. Serve warm.
Lucky for me that I had an extra slice that I enjoyed for lunch at work today.